Sunday, June 24, 2012

Book Review: Crossing Values by Carrie Daws


Crossing Values is the first book by author Carrie Daws. It also the first book in a series, with Ryan's Crossing being the next book. I don't have a publish date for it though.
From the back of the book: For years, Amber traipsed around the northwest avoiding the skeletons in her closet. Job-hopping every few weeks, she refused to let anyone get close to her.
As winter plants itself firmly across the Rockies, she takes a chance on a job at a logging company with a family different from any she’s ever known.
Watching the family interact creates more questions than answers for Amber. Feeling like she’s entered the happily-ever-after written at the end of fairytales, she watches for cracks in the façade.
Surely as the days pass, the play-acting will cease and the real family will emerge.
Or could she be wrong? Could they truly be genuine?
Could Faye understand the trauma from her past or Peter think of her as more than just the winter office help? Could this family really hold the key to what she’s seeking?
Crossing Values by Carrie Daws
Crossing Values is only 160 pages long, so it was easy for me to read in an evening. I really wanted to love this book, as the premise sounded so good. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. I knew this was a Christian fiction book (obviously, since I obtained the book from CWA), but it crossed that fine line in to being preachy. Preachy is a turn off for me, as it is for quite a few other readers of Christian Fiction. I expect that Carrie will grow as a writer and fix this issue, as Crossing Values is her first book.
Another issue that stands out for me is the lack of kissing, especially following the marriage proposal. Couples that get engaged kiss (even Amish kiss), and it's almost like sealing the proposal. I don't want graphic or anything, but there should be some mention of a kiss or two. And no, I don't know why that bothers me so much.
Now the banter between extended family members flows well and is so enjoyable. It reminds me a lot of my mother's side of the family. The feeling of love and hope come through and made me wish I was right there at the table eating with the family.
There is nothing objectionable in the book, so it's appropriate for all ages. I can't seen teenagers reading and enjoying it though. The list price $11.99, but it's a little cheaper on Amazon right now.
Overall, I'd give the book 3 1/2 stars.

As a member of the CWA Review Crew, I was given a copy of the book Crossing Values by Carrie Daws to read and review. The opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment