Saturday, March 10, 2012

March 10, 2012 Celebrations

It's a long weekend, as Mike kicked the vacuum last night and probably broke his toe. He won't go in and have it looked at, though I think he should. I couldn't even get him to put some ice on it. So, what is today.....

It is The International Day of Awesomeness. I like this one. This holiday is a celebration of awesomeness. People are awesome every day, frequently don't realize it, and their feats of awesomeness are rarely recognized. This is a special day to both perform and celebrate feats of awesomeness, so BE AWESOME today. This holiday occurs on March 10th, because that's Chuck Norris' birthday. No offense to Mr. Norris, but this isn't really a salute to Chuck Norris, the man. This is a tribute to the awesomeness of the the myth of Chuck Norris. Hmm...interesting.

Did you notice that March 10th abbreviated is Mar 10.....or Mario....so it's Mario Day. Mario, the Italian plumber, was created by Shigeru Miyamoto, and first appeared in Donkey Kong in 1981. Mario then moved up in the gaming world and got his own game in which he shared the spot light with his brother Luigi.  Mario can typically be seen fighting Bowser to rescue Princess Peach.mario1Mario even has a live action movie...The Mario Brothers...and it's quite entertaining. I enjoyed it, especially the Walk The Dinosaur song. Mario is known as being the most famous video game character ever created. The Mario game series has been the best selling series of all time—over 200 million copies sold. I know I've played a few of the games over the last um, 20 years.

World Kidney Day is also celebrated today. There is a whole website dedicated to this holiday, and I think you should check it out. http://www.worldkidneyday.org/ The mission of World Kidney Day is to raise awareness of the importance of our kidneys to our overall health and to reduce the frequency and impact of kidney disease and its associated health problems worldwide.

Today is Name Tag Day, those ubiquitous little stickers found on the lapels of strangers and conventioneers everywhere. Celebrate this day by wearing your very own name tag. I think I can skip this one, though there are days I need a name tag so I can remember my own name. LOL

Researching one holiday usually leads to the discovery of another that is being celebrated on the same day. This is the case for Harriet Tubman Day. I found it accidently, and it is an official holiday. Harriet Tubman Day, 1990 March 10th, I call upon the people of the United States to observe this day with appropriate ceremonies and activities. 1990 President George Bush. Proclamation 6107 - Harriet Tubman day is celebrated on the anniversary of her death (March 10, 1913), not her birth. I figure this is due to the fact that we don't know when exactly she was born. Records really weren't kept on slave births.
I may have missed a holiday today....and if I did, go ahead and post it below. Sometimes it's difficult to confirm that something odd is truely being celebrated on a particular day. So put on your name tag, read about Harriet Tubman, take good care of your kidneys, and most importantly, be awesome today.

No comments:

Post a Comment