Monday, July 23, 2012

Book Review: Veil of Pearls by MaryLu Tyndall

I was fortunate to receive a copy of MaryLu's new Christian Historical Fiction book Veil of Pearls. About the book, from her website:
It is 1811, and the prosperous port city of Charleston is bustling with immigrants like Adalia. But she has a secret: her light skin belies that she is part black and a runaway slave from Barbados. She lives in terror that her owner will come looking for her. Instead Morgan, the son of a plantation owner, finds her. He is handsome, charming, bored—and enamored of the beautiful Adalia. Soon she is swept into his glamorous world, a world in which the truth about Adalia’s heritage would ruin her—and Morgan. This epic romance reveals the beauty and tragedy of the Old South.

From the first page, I was swept away to the 1800's and living through Adalia. Though her life after escaping slavery is still rough (can you say corsets and NO INDOOR PLUMBING), I wanted to be right with Adalia in Charleston. She is plucky and not afraid to stand up to the spoiled rich brothers. Morgan becomes enthralled with Adalia and pulls her in to his world of privilege and luxury. I, like Adalia, would not be comfortable in that world, but I'd also probably love to be doted on and spoiled by Morgan. Being a part of the 'in' crowd would be nice...at least for a while.
I don't want to give anything away, but I'll say that I was so captivated by the story that I was up until after 3 am reading. I just wanted to know what was going to happen. The nastiness of certain other characters made me want to seek some revenge....nothing too drastic though.....just highly embarrass someone.... I know, I know...not very Christian of me, but geez, a person can only take so much...LOL.
I'm very glad that MaryLu Tyndall decided to put in an epilogue, though it probably means no sequel. I like to know the future of the characters....and see if what I want to happen, happens.
Overall, I give this book 5 stars. If you like Christian Historical Fiction, you'll love this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment