Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Book Review: Vanished by Barbara Derksen

I am a member of the CWA review Crew. The CWA Review Crew is a network of Christian Women that were brought together to review new books, ebooks, products, apps, or resources. I was given an ecopy of Vanished to read and review. The opinions are all my own.
A synopsis of Vanished from Amazon:
Vanished! That’s what Andrea Wilton and Brian Strait discover when they come to visit their best friends one evening. Where could they be and does God answer prayers, two questions they find the answers to as they journey to another world of voodoo, murder, and more missing people. Andrea and Brian also discover each other as they learn to scuba, fight a common enemy, and search for the proverbial needle in a haystack.
http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1330409310l/12562970.jpg
Book Details:
Paperback: 340 pages
Publisher: CreateSpace (April 19, 2012)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 146809419X
ISBN-13: 978-1468094190
Product Dimensions: 8.5 x 5.5 x 0.8 inches

Vanished is the first book in the series of 'mysteries' starring Andrea Wilton and Brian Strait. This particular book is a little bit mystery and a little bit thriller. I was not surprised or shocked by anything that happened in the book, though some readers may be surprised. Andrea and Brian are enjoyable characters that I think anyone can relate to. They do make some mistakes, but they mean well. The banter back and forth is amusing and definitely something I would engage in with my friends. I realize I'm not saying a lot about the plot or what happens, but I don't want to give anything away.
The only thing that I just can't get out of my mind is the SCUBA diving. The little details drove me nuts, because some of them were wrong. I've been a certified diver for over 25 yrs and not once have I heard a driver call fins "flippers," for example. None of these details would be picked up on by the average person, and I know it shouldn't bug me, but it does.
Overall, I'd give this book 4 1/2 stars (out of 5). I'm interested and invested enough in the characters that I've already read the second book in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment