Thursday, February 16, 2012

What are we celebrating today -- Feb 17, 2012?

TGIF. I am really hoping I can celebrate at least one holiday today, and that one is Everything You Do Is Right Day. Life is filled with ups and downs, and some days are good days, while some days are bad days. Most often, there's both good and bad in any given day, except I seem to have more bad days than good lately. I'm hoping today is the day this changes, as I WANT to celebrate Everything You Do Is Right Day.
It is also National Freedom of Information Day. It celebrates and recognizes a valuable concept in American rights, The Freedom of Information Act, which was passed into law in 1966. This holiday is celebrated today, because it is the anniversary of James Madison's birthday. Madison is considered the "Father of the Constitution" and one of the chief authors of the Bills of Rights.
The first liquid propelled rocket flight was performed by George C. Goddard on March 16, 1926, in Auburn, Massachusetts. In 1965, March 16 was declared National Goddard Day to commemorate this event.
Lastly, it is Curlew Day.  I didn't know what a curlew was off hand either, but I did figure it was some sort of an animal. Curlews are large coastal birds that belong to the Scolopacidae family, and the most commonly found species are the long-billed.
Long-billed Curlew--courtesy of William L. Newton/CLO
Nope, I didn't find why this particular bird has its own day...but it does.
So, have a good day and hopefully everything you do will be right.....

No comments:

Post a Comment