Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Celebrations today Feb 21, 2012....

One of my favorite food holidays is celebrated today....Paczki Day. I know a lot of you don't know what  paczki (punch-key) are. They are fried rounds of yeast dough with prune, apricot, strawberry, raspberry or sweet cheese filling. While the practice of Paczki Day is traditionally observed the day before Ash Wednesday in the United States, in Poland, paczki sales are the highest on Tlusty Czwartek, or "Fat Thursday." This day marks the start of the final week of the pre-Lenten celebrations. Oh, and I can only eat 1 of these too.....and I WILL find one here in Georgia. I should have had my parents send me some down from Polish Town in Detroit. (Oh, and yes I know today begins Marti Gras in New Orleans).
It is also Card Reading Day. I'd say this is probably a Hallmark Holiday, as it does encourage you to send and read cards, but I'm not 100% sure that's the kind of cards it means. I read something that it may mean Tarot card reading day....hmm...that puts a new light on this one. I guess take it as you will.
And lastly, it is International Mother Language Day. This is the day to promote awareness of linguistic and cultural diversity and multilingualism. This holiday actually has a wikipedia entry, so if you want to know more, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Mother_Language_Day

No comments:

Post a Comment