Sunday, March 20, 2011

Do You Know What Holidays We Are Celebrating Today -- 3/20/2011?

Yes, I'm very late in posting this today. Sorry. After getting home from dance at around 1 am, I didn't get to sleep until after 2. I started posting this afternoon, but I fell asleep waiting for some photos to load on my computer. Oops. So, I'll get on with it...
1.) Extraterrestrial Abductions Day: Keep one eye on the sky, and be ready to duck, dodge, and to hide. UFO's may be everywhere, looking to abduct humans.....yeah, right. Maybe plan a trip to Roswell, New Mexico if you are looking to be abducted....or go tour area 51. I guess celebrate this one by watching some sci-fi movies...perhaps with aluminum foil on your head, to keep martians from channeling your thoughts.

2.) International Earth Day: International Earth Day was initiated to make earth inhabitants aware of their responsibility to care for the planet. This care includes environmental and natural resources. International Earth Day was founded by John McConnell, of Davis City, Iowa. In September, 1969, he proposed  the establishment of Earth Day to the San Francisco, California Board of Supervisors. After approval, he gained support from many others, including then UN General Secretary, U Thant. In 1970, McConnell wrote an Earth Day Proclamation which was ultimately signed by UN Secretary General U Thant on March 21, 1971. This is a TRUE holiday....so celebrate by recycling, planting a tree or flowers, or take a hike (couldn't resist saying that).
3.) Proposal Day: Yes, it does mean THAT kind of proposal. Single adults who are ready to marry are encouraged to propose marriage to their true love on the days of the vernal equinox and the autumnal equinox. For those in love, this could very well be the big day that will change your lives.....for good or bad (LOL). I guess since I'm married, I won't be celebrating this one.
4). Snowman Burning Day: Oh the horror! I can't participate in this holiday....and I don't like it. This holiday began in 1971 on the campus of Lake Superior State University to mark the end of winter and the beginning of spring. I put a picture up of the snowman burning....so very sad. Don't believe this is an isolated holiday either, because after some research, I found the Swiss and the Germans celebrate this day too. The snowman burning takes its inspiration from the Rose Sunday Festival in Weinheim-an-der-Bergstrasse, Germany. In the festival, a parade passes through town to a central location, where the mayor makes a proposal to the town's children. If the children are good, study, obey their parents and work hard, he will order the (straw) snowman to be burned, and spring will officially arrive. After the children yell their approval and make their promise, the snowman is burned .People hold that the smoke rising from the fire is supposed to ward off blizzards and usher in spring-like weather.
One of the official Snowman Burning festivals at LSSU.














5.) National Jump Out! Day: This is the day to grab a jump rope and hop to it...or is it over it? Anyway, it's a jump rope kind of day. If you have kids, this is a great on to participate in. I even found a contest running through May 15th.  http://www.fundexgames.com/jumprope.php  You submit the amount of jumps and can win prizes. Now I would have participated in this one as a kid....
6.). Atheist Pride Day: This holiday is for atheists to let the world know that they exist. I am skipping this one too. I have a comment about the date of this holiday, but I don't want to offend anyone, so I'll skip it.

Well, I am not making comments on these.....it's just too darn easy today.

No comments:

Post a Comment